What my friends and I are reading now...

This blog is a way for us to talk with each other about what we are reading these days.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Littleton/Denver, CO

Worked as educator (teacher/administrator) all over the country. Now am begining disseration research for PhD at UC Denver. The topic is youngest teachers, do we nuture or negate them in schools? The study is a descriptive study of their experiences. Goal is to graduate in May 2009.

Friday, August 25, 2006

"I find television very educational. Everytime someone turns it on, I go into the other room and read a book." -- Groucho Marx

So we all love to read! What are you reading these days? What piques your curiosity? Do you have a genre you are into it, an author you relate with, or are you spending time with non-fiction matters? Are you absorbed with news, current events, professional reading, art, book or theater reviews? What about recipes? Do you like to read and eat?! Do you spend your time with actual hard copy or the virtual? Tell us what you are thinking and what you read. Let's talk with each other.

Right now I'm divided into 3 areas: school stuff (textbooks, journal articles etc.) young adult literature (YAL), and daily/weeklies like the New York Times (http://nytimes.com), the Denver Post (http://denverpost.com) - save your time on that one, or Time magazine (http://time.com). I read a lot of education related material and get a lot of good links for articles published all over the country from both Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (http://ascd.org), as well as Phi Delta Kappa (http://www.pdkintl.org). For weekly news on national policy, from the Pew Research Center, you might want to check out http://www.stateline.org/ and http://eschools.com. Both offer educaters many ideas & links, for practical useage.

Hey! I'm just trying to stay up with what's happening out there in the big wide read/write world!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm reading "Lake Wobegon Summer 1956" by Garrison Keillor. You do not have to be a 14-yr-old boy to appreciate the writing. In fact, it's probably best appreciated by an older person that has gone through and can relate to the experiences in this tale, including myself even though I personally have no experience with a pocket gopher. Jplanet

10:36 PM  
Blogger Hilary Greenebaum said...

What is a pocket gopher? Hmmm I will check that out, thanks for the update from the field!

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Garrison Keillor when I was in high school. I did see the movie this summer and liked it, too. I wish I could read a book of his without hearing his voice though! No offense meant. From Liza

8:59 AM  
Blogger CoorgGirl said...

The quote by Marx-- it should be my motto. I am well-read because of the TV!

I am reading a Brief History of a Nation-- by Winston Churchill on the history of America. A curious author for such a tome.

Tediously long, but a good read for someone reading up for a citizenship exam!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NRB I went to the library to today to get my new book club book, A Long Way Down, by Nick Horsby. I'm first on the waiting list. I hope it's good. I read one of his other books, but I really didn't like it very much. The book I just finished is Kill Me, by Stephen White. He's a local author and psychologist. I enjoy the books he writes because they're fast paced psychological thrillers that usually take place in the Denver/Boulder area.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home